It looks like more and more universities are taking gaming seriously, as you can now study a degree in Esports.
Staffordshire University, based in Stoke-on-Trent, UK, has introduced the brand-new course for this year.
They have a dedicated Esports hub, with state-of-the-art equipment.
The university said: “This course is brand new for September 2018. Focusing on the business side of esports, this is a unique course taught from what is considered to be one of the largest and best games universities in the UK.
“The BA (Hons) Esports focuses on the business of esports. You will learn how to host small and large scale events for single player and multi-player teams, create business plans to develop teams, create online communities and promote your events through digital marketing. You will also get the opportunity to explore the culture of esports, its audience and fan base and different game genres that make up the most popular in current times.
“Staffordshire University is considered to be one of the largest and best games universities in the UK. In 2016 we were the best place in the UK to study games design and development by ALPHR – the online branch of PC Pro. We also have a long history of event management courses with feedback via NSS and SVS indicating a high level of student satisfaction.
“The success in these two areas will see a unique partnership between games and events to create a truly outstanding experience in the UK market.”
If you’re wondering what kind of things you’d be studying, they reveal all on their website:
- Join one of our six competitive societies: League of Legends, DOTA2, Hearthstone, Counter Strike, Overwatch and Super Smash Bros and compete in events in the UK and overseas.
- Take part in UK and International varsities.
- Visit esports events in the UK and take part in an International residential.
- Study digital marketing and take Google Garage Exams as part of the course.
- Plan, develop and implement an esports event. In the first year the event will be a single player event, in year two this progresses to a team player event and in the third year the event will be a large scale, commercial venue event with team players and a prize fund.
- You will be taught in a dedicated Esports Lab and Pro Gamer training facility with all the latest industry standard software and hardware.
You can find out more, and apply through Clearing, here.