Getting a little tired of Fallout 4 and looking for something different? Dust off your copy of New Vegas, because The Frontier is an upcoming mod for Fallout:NV and it’s a real game-changer. They’ve added new types of combat and features that we haven’t seen in any Fallout games before.
It took a team of 50 people to pull this off, and the results are very impressive. They’ve been working on it since before Fallout 4 was even announced, which is why they’re using the New Vegas engine instead of the newer one.
This isn’t just some mod that gives the characters bobble-heads, or makes the leaves look a little nicer on high-end video cards. They overhauled the game, added some big features, and borrowed assets from other Fallout games to re-create a post-apocalyptic winter version of Portland, Oregon which is where The Frontier takes place.
The mod isn’t done yet and there’s still some more work to do, here’s an overview of their progress:
In the meantime, they’ve released a trailer. How many changes to the original New Vegas are you able to spot?
Here are some of the additions you can look forward to:
- They’ve added tank battles to Fallout: New Vegas.
- If something catches fire, that fire can actually spread like a real fire would.
- The cold weather can cause you damage, adding another element to the game.
- Destructible items have been added.
- You’re able to keep playing as your current New Vegas character, you don’t need to start a new game.
- The game takes places in a frozen 16km x 16km map.
There isn’t a release date set in stone, however they’re aiming for “winter”. A lot of mods will gain interest but never quite make it to the finish line, however it’s safe to say that the team behind The Frontier is going to make this happen and we’re looking forward to checking it out in more detail.